This evening I sat down in my craft room just to realize that all of my pressing deadlines were complete and I could just play! However, I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do… So I closed my eyes, grabbed a stamp set, and got to work! The stamp set I picked was Let’s Roll from Lawn Fawn. I’ve only used this set once quite awhile ago and it was for a very simple one layer card. I still couldn’t quite figure out what I wanted to do so I stamped several of the images in Versafine, heat-embossed them in clear embossing powder, and then began coloring them with copic markers. I hoped that as I was coloring I’d figure out what I wanted to do and it worked!
Of course I just said that I was done doing shaker cards and here’s another one…*sigh*…I have a problem.
I finished coloring the images and then colored them with a clear Wink of Stella pen for some extra shimmer. I fussy cut the images and went over the edges with my black copic marker to give them a more finished look! Once I decided to make a shaker card I also stamped and cut the same images in kraft card stock. I adhered them to the back of the colored images so the inky back wouldn’t be visible through the shaker.
Lawn Fawn and Simon Says Stamp are currently hosting a joint Flickr challenge using kraft so I decided to use kraft card stock as the base for my card. As I was working I also realized that I’d be able to use another lesson from the Technique Toolbox: Dye Ink class and use generation stamping for the background!
I took a piece of Neenah Desert Storm card stock cut to 5.5″ by 8.5″ and scored at 4.25″ (for a standard A2 card) and ran it through my Big Shot with the Simon Says Stamp Stitched Rectangles to create the shaker window. Then I cut a second window from a 5.5″ by 4.25″ piece. I cut two pieces of acetate slightly smaller than those windows and adhered one to each window. Then I filled the shaker with Avery Elle Citrus Blend sequins to match the colors of the fish eggs and salmon in the sushi.
I took another piece of Desert Storm card stock and used the Stitched Rectangle die to create a large panel for the inside of the card. On that panel I stamped the small and large cherry blossom stamps to create a background. I used Studio Calico ink in Blush Crush and stamped twice each time to get two different shades of pink. I love how it looks like I’m using two ink pads! 😉
Once the ink was dry on the flowers I stamped the sentiment in Versafine and heat-embossed it with clear powder. Oh, and I also cut the sentiment apart so that it would be visible through the front of the card. Finally, I adhered the panel to the back of the card.
On the front of the card I adhered the images with my tombow stamp runner and foam mounting tape to give it a more dimensional look. I still thought it was missing something so I stamped a few more cherry blossoms on the vellum with the same Studio Calico ink.
Originally I was thinking of stamping the sentiment on the front of the vellum (as well as the back panel) so it’d be more obvious but I’m really glad I didn’t. I like how the sentiment and background are still visible through the vellum but they, and the sequins, have a softer look from the vellum and the focus is on the cute sushi.
And now I REALLY want sushi…
…except that it’s 7 degrees outside and not really sushi weather…
Thanks for visiting!