Well, I’m cutting it a little close on the deadline but I’ve decided to start trying out some of the various stamp company challenges and here’s my entry for Papertrey Ink’s Make it Monday Challenge!
This week’s challenge was using die cuts to aid in an embossed resist technique! I used the Avery Elle chevron border as my die cut and the birthday trio die cuts from Papertrey Ink for the sentiment. I started off by die-cutting the chevron border onto a scrap piece of cardstock. Then I prepped my 4.25″ by 5.5″ cardstock base with the EK Success powder tool so that the embossing powder wouldn’t stick where it wasn’t supposed to. I used post-it tape to tape the border outline to the cardstock and then pressed the versamark pad onto the chevron opening. I sprinkled Hero Arts clear embossing powder onto the versamark and then heat set it. While the powder was still warm I sprinkled another layer on and heat set that as well which resulted in a slightly higher embossed pattern. Next time I’ll probably just buy the extra high embossing powder instead!
Then on the first card I blended ripe persimmon and picked raspberry distress inks onto the card with a mini blending tool. I kept it darker at the top and then blended it lighter towards the bottom. I spritzed the whole front with perfect pearls spray and then used a damp babywipe to clean off the embossed border. I die cut the sentiment from Papertrey Ink’s birthday trio four times and then stacked and glued them together to create a thick embellishment. I attached it to the card front with foam mounting tape and liberally covered the sentiment with the clear wink of stella glitter pen. Finally I embellished it with silver thread and Pretty Pink Posh sparkling clear sequins.
The second card was similar to the first but I used salty ocean and peacock feathers distress inks on the card base flicked the perfect pearls spray onto the card front in thicker spots and let them air dry to create the lighter and larger spots on the card front. I also sprayed it with a silver shimmer spray for a little more sparkle.
The sentiment is also cut from white cardstock but I covered it with a silver wink of stella glitter pen instead of the clear.
Finally, I wanted to share an outtake from my card “photoshoot.” I created a display background with a piece of foam board and I’ve been using it to photograph my finished cards. Well, apparentely it’s Rogue’s new favorite hangout. I had to tempt her with a toy to get her off the board so I could snap a few quick shots. This was taken about 3 seconds before she got tired of the toy and launched herself onto the card. Thankfully, no cards (or cats) were harmed in this production!